This series of podcasts aims to discover the number of issues about corporate actors’ impact on the rule of law environment, the tendency of raising of corporate power and the potential of the rule of law concept to ensure corporate respect for human rights, modern challenges for the rule of law caused by corporate capture.
This series will cover 7 topics, and we will discuss each of them in two perspectives – once with experts who represent Western legal tradition and then the same questions will be raised in the conversation with the guests from the Post-Soviet region.
Coordinator of the Summer Podcasts Series – Dr. Olena Uvarova, Head of International Lab on Business and Human Rights, Centre for Research and projects support at the Yaroslav Mudryi National Law University, Visiting Researcher at the Law Group, Wageningen University.
For links to each episode please visit the Rule of Law and Corporate Actors website.
The topics of Summer Series of podcasts:
- Is corporate capture possible in societies with strong rule of law environment? Could we presume a correlation between power disbalance, economic inequality and lack of the rule of law?
- Responsible post-war reconstruction of Ukraine: How to balance the rule of law and the need to make “business supportive” environment?
- Environmental Rule of Law: What is the role of corporate actors?
- Access to justice in litigations against private companies: does the rule of law have potential to overcome barriers?
- The rule of law in period of global emergencies: could we expect of the predictability of business actions in times of instability?
- Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence Directive: formal, procedural or substantive requirements?
- The rule of law requirements to the corporate self-regulation: is incorporating rights possible?
Audio of the podcasts is original audio record. It is accompanied by text transcription in English and Ukrainian. Choose what is more convenient for you – read or listen.
The Summer podcasts series is in the frame of Jean Monnet Module “EU Rule of Law Mechanism for Private Sector” (101047106 — PrActRoL) implemented by Yaroslav Mudryi National Law University (NLU) in the synergy with Horizon project “Rebalancing disruptivE Business of multinAtional corporation and gLobal value chAins within democratic and iNClusive citizenship processes” (101061342 — REBALANCE) and in cooperation with the Global Business and Human Rights Scholars Association and the Law Group of the Wageningen University and Research.